Friday, March 11, 2011

Recipe #8: Pasta with Parmesan, Italian Sausage, Sundried Tomato, and Broccoli


This new recipe was cooked FOR me by my lovely husband for our most recent Valentine’s Day. Instead of going out and eating at an expensive restaurant, Matt suggested he cook dinner for the two of us. Frankly, how could a girl turn that down? Even feeling under the weather, Matt toughed it out and whipped up a really nice meal for the two of us to enjoy together.

He decided to keep me in suspense for this meal. I wasn’t allowed in the kitchen during preparation, and even while grocery shopping he was very clever at getting the ingredients without me noticing. It wasn’t until the dish was plated that and put in front of me that I knew what we were having. And it was delicious! I wouldn’t have thought to put together these ingredients but they all worked really nicely together.

I also love that Matt reached out to his mom for suggestions on what meal to prepare (hope he doesn’t shoot me for sharing this). She sent him an email from the 20-minute Supper Club (http://www.20minutesupperclub.com/) with a week’s worth of dishes to choose from, and he was able to find one that he liked. I’ve since joined up for that weekly email, because, well, quite honestly, I like getting recipes delivered to my inbox.

I know that Matt knows how to cook, and he often asks if he can help in the kitchen, but I actually really like to cook, so I don’t think of it as a chore for me. I really do get excited about coming home from work and trying out a new recipe and tasting how it turns out (nerdy, I know). But there certainly are some nights when it’s equally nice to come home, throw the leftovers on the stove top and just relax on the couch. Or to have someone else cook for you.

INGREDIENTS

Whole wheat spaghetti pasta (enough for 2 people)
12 sundried tomatoes (approximately)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 mild Italian sausages, castings removed
2 cups broccoli pieces
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus a bit more for serving

DIRECTIONS

COOK pasta according to package directions until al dente. Just before al dente, add broccoli and cook until crisp tender.

REMOVE broccoli and run under cold water. Set aside. Drain pasta, put back in pot and set aside.

PLACE olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, and once hot, add garlic and Italian sausage, break into pieces, and cook until sausage is browned.

ADD broccoli, chicken stock, tomatoes and drained pasta. Toss to heat. Add cheese and toss a bit more. Season with salt and pepper to taste then serve with extra Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...