Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Recipe #12: Apple Pie Oatmeal with Almond Foam

 
Courtesy of http://www.foodnetwork.ca/
It’s not very often that I’m able to tune into to Chef at Home these days, but for the rare times I do, I always find a great recipe to cook up. I’ve already blogged about some of his recipes (which ones are escaping me right now…), but he uses easy techniques and common flavours that usually make his dish a hit with me. Plus, you can easily find all his recipes online over at http://www.foodtnetwork.ca/. So when I saw his episode about whipping up brunch, this particular oatmeal recipe caught my eye. And since I had almost all of these ingredients in the house, this was on my list for breakfast this weekend.

I was also very intrigued with the almond foam, since a good friend of mine just gave Matt and me an espresso maker that she never used. Score! And although I didn’t have almond butter on hand, I substituted peanut butter, and that did the trick (but melt it for a few minutes in the microwave to combine better with the milk). And if you don’t have an espresso maker, perhaps you have a mini electric foam whisk that would do the trick.

And who doesn’t love cinnamon and apples with oatmeal? The smell of this cooking up was delightful on a Sunday morning. And this portion below was perfect for the two of us. I think it just might become a regular for us on the weekends...

INGREDIENTS

For the Oatmeal
1 cup whole rolled oats
2 cups milk
1 apple, cored and chopped
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons sliced almonds (optional)

For the Almond Foam
1 cup skim or whole milk
1 tablespoon almond butter (or peanut butter)
1 tablespoon brown sugar

DIRECTIONS

POUR the oats, milk, apple, brown sugar and cinnamon into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Continue gently cooking until it's thick and creamy, about 15 minutes. Stir every few minutes to keep the mixture from sticking to the bottom.

WHISK together the skim milk, almond butter and brown sugar. Steam the milk using the steamer attachment of an espresso machine.

SPOON the oatmeal into 2 serving bowls and top with some almond foam. Sprinkle with almond slices and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...