Friday, April 22, 2011

Recipe #14: Apricot & Peach Glazed Ham


This recipe comes with very little inspiration other than the fact that both Matt and I had a desire to have ham for dinner one weekend (luckily, its Easter, so we’ll be having it again this weekend!). So, unlike most dishes that start out with a recipe, this time we only had an ingredient. We worked backwards from there, which was actually a bit more of a challenge than I was anticipating.

While gathering groceries at St. Lawrence market one Saturday afternoon, we first picked up a small ham, already fully cooked, and then a few veggies to add on the side (broccoli and potatoes). When we got back to the condo, I searched a couple online sites for a ham recipe, but nothing really caught my eye. Next, I turned to the cookbooks on my shelves, hoping that one would have something simple but tasty. Since the ham is already fully cooked, I was looking for a rub or a glaze that would help flavour it. I eventually found a recipe in the Looneyspoons cook book, and luckily I already had most of the ingredients, or variations of them.

Putting everything together was very easy, and cooking time was only about 30 minutes for the ham, about 45 for the potatoes. These mini potatoes are a quick and easy side to serve with just about any meat dish, and we have them quite often. After cutting into small chunks, I just drizzle with olive oil and then add some French fry seasoning (from Schwartz’s) before cooking in the oven. They are very tasty!

INGREDIENTS
1 fully cooked ham (about 2 lbs)
1 cup apricot and/or peach jam
1 ½ tsp white vinegar
1 tbsp orange zest
½ tsp ground allspice

DIRECTIONS

COMBINE all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, about 2 -3 minutes.
SPOON over ham.
BAKED uncovered for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.

The original recipe calls for you to slice the ham first, then layer in a dish and coat each piece with the glaze before baking, but I only wanted the glaze to be on the outside, so I opted out of this step. But this might be something to try for next time!

Serves 6-8 people

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...