Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Diane's Rectangular Sweater

If you know me, you'll know that I always have something on the go, and more often than not, more than one thing. It helps to be working a couple projects to keep the knitting fresh and interesting. Some projects can get a little tedious (knitting is very repetitive, after all), so if I have projects with different levels of complexity, it helps to keep my attention (I can also vary the project by television show/movie, depending on how much I actually need to pay attention).

As of late, I managed to cross off a number of projects that I have had on the go for a while. The first was the sweater for Matt, which I started way back in early spring of last year. Other projects were thrown in there at the same time, including one or two that probably got finished before his, so I had to make finishing his a priority.

Next in line was this project, a lovely mauve sweater for Diane, which was a gift for her birthday in January. I managed to finish it for Easter, a mere three months later, and yes, she knew it was coming. It was a pattern that I knew she was interested in knitting, so while she was visiting for her birthday, Matt and I suggested that she pick out the yarn and I would knit it for her. Being a knitter herself, she knew it would not be a fast process, but I had given myself the Easter weekend as my deadline to finish it.

This pattern was interesting in that the entire front and back were knit as one giant and long rectangle, with slits for armholes knit during the process, and sleeves knit separately and then attached. It was knit it stockinette stitch, which is the most basic of stitches, and because of this, I was able to knit it up quite quickly. I also chose to knit the sleeves at the same time, which gives them a good chance of ending up the same length (a good thing in sweaters, don’t you think?). But because of that, it meant I had to seam them together (something which I’m not terribly good at), which normally I try to avoid, but in this case, I thought it was a better idea. And after piecing everything together, I think it turned out quite nice. At least Diane likes it, and that’s what matters.

Next to post is my grey/teal moss stitch cardigan...

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You are busy! But I have to say the rectangular sweater looks amazing! I love patterns that are a little different, such as this one. I find that as you become more accomplished at the stitches, you need to test yourself with different patterns.

    Good job! No wonder Diane likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do LOVE this sweater. Stitches are beautifully even and the sleeves exactly the same size (something I never manage to do!). Thank you SO much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Margaret: Thanks for the nice feedback! Its is always fun to find new ways to challenge yourself in your hobbies.

    @Diane: So happy you like it, and it looks great on you. Something of an accomplishment in itself.

    ReplyDelete

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...