Monday, September 12, 2011

Recipe #25: Black Bean Brownies

Photo courtesy of Family Kitchen

I have to give credit to my good friend Darlene for this unique recipe, or at least credit for telling me about it. From the name of it, you might already be scrunching up your nose (I think I did, actually), but I decided it was worth the try. I was inspired partly by our vegetarian adventure and my new found fondness of beans, and also by the lovely sisters, Janet and Greta, from Eat, Shrink, and be Merry. I caught one of their episodes the other week. They were trying to create a healthy version of chocolate fudge (as if!). While they conceded that you probably couldn’t make a completely healthy version (you still needed sugar after all), you could at least do your part to make it more nutritious. And so that was my thought with these brownies. The beans replace the flour and add some protein in the process. Was I skeptical that they would taste good? You bet. This was probably the only time in my baking career that I didn’t lick the spoon.

I found this recipe  online at Family Kitchen (also new bookmark in list of favorites) and chose it mainly for the simplicity. I had found others but this one seemed the most straightforward. Everything but the chocolate chips and walnuts goes into the food processor. Turn that puppy on and puree the heck out of it. I think that’s the trick – you don’t want any lumpy bean parts left in there.

And the results? Surprisingly good! I taste-tested these with several family and friends, some knowing what was in them, some not, and everyone seemed to really enjoy them. It is chocolate, after all, so what’s not to like?! I would bake these again in a heart beat! So thanks, Darlene, for giving me the idea.

INGREDIENTS:

1 19 oz (540 mL) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

PREHEAT oven to 350°F.

PLACE the black beans, sugar, eggs, melted butter, cocoa, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth, pulsing and scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure all the beans are completely pureed. Remove the blade and gently stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Pour into an 8″x8″ pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.

BAKE for 25-30 minutes, or until slightly puffed and set. Cool before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...