Monday, September 19, 2011

Recipe #26: Corn Bread Waffles


For Christmas one year, my dear sister gave me a waffle maker. Did I ask for one? I did not. Do I have an undying love of waffles? Again, I do not. I love her dearly, but at that time, I thought she basically walked into a cooking store, saw the waffle maker, put it in her basket and she was done. Maybe I’m not giving her enough credit, though. Perhaps she really did think that I would love that waffle maker and use it every weekend to make fresh waffles.

Well, I guess the joke is on me, because we do use that waffle maker, and I do love it. While I don’t break it out its hiding space every weekend, I do sometimes get the inspiration to make fresh waffles for Matt and I. Fresh ones are NOTHING like the frozen ones and they really don’t take all that much time or effort, either. The only down side is you can only cook one at a time, but they are big enough to share while the next one is on the griddle. In fact, if you cook up more than you can eat, they freeze really well and can just be reheated in the toaster.

I’ve also fallen in love with cornmeal and will try any recipe that I can find that incorporates the yellow stuff. The texture makes a boring waffle or muffin into something crunchy and extraordinary, and I just love it! So when Matt found this recipe, I was more than excited to give it a try. Yes, sadly, to must have a waffle maker to make these, but I’m willing to bet that this could easily be translated into a pancake recipe, too.

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1  cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 cups milk (whole, soy, or butter)
4 tablespoons vegetable oil


DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl mix together cornmeal, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with a whisk. Make sure it is well mixed.

In another bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Add the cornmeal mixture to the wet ingredients and stir with the whisk until combined.

Preheat waffle iron and grease if needed.

Spoon batter onto the waffle iron, using 1/4 cup of batter per each 4-inch-square standard waffle and cook according to manufacturers instructions.

Top with desired topping and enjoy. Waffles can be kept warm in at 200F degrees oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...