Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Recipe #27: Apple Coleslaw


This is a great little side dish if you’re looking for a quick and easy salad, and if you happen to have leftover cabbage on hand, as was the case with me. I had just made a delicious ribolita soup, and not wanting the remaining coleslaw to go to waste, I looked to find a coleslaw recipe. The caveat here was I didn’t want something mayo based, so when I found this one with the oil, lemon juice, and honey, I was sold! 

I made this dish to accompany one of our brisket nights, but this would also be great on a pulled pork sandwich or alongside ribs. Speaking of ribs, I’ll be whipping up a batch of those at the cottage this weekend with some new BBQ sauce we made at a Pickling Party… intrigued?

If you have a mandolin, it makes the whole job go so much quicker, but a pre-packaged coleslaw also works quite nice as well. Then all you have to do is chop up the apples, celery, and green pepper. And the result - a tangy, crunchy, slightly sweet mix of veggies. 

Ingredients
2 cups shredded coleslaw
1 unpeeled tart apple, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon celery seed

Directions
In a bowl, combine the coleslaw, apple, celery and green pepper. In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients. Pour over coleslaw and toss to coat.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... I love slaw, I am going to definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...