Monday, April 30, 2012

Recipe #33: Blueberry Scones



Scones are the perfect little breakfast or midday snack treat, especially when you top them with a zesty and sweet lemon glaze. While I’m not generally a blueberry person, I have been coming around to them, and finding myself looking for a quick recipe to whip up for this past Easter weekend, this recipe was exactly what I was searching for. I really liked that the sour cream mixed with a few tablespoons of sugar provided the right blend of sour and sweetness.

After picking up the few ingredients I didn’t already have in the house, I mixed up a batch on Saturday morning to enjoy fresh out of the oven. Then, while they were cooking, I melted together the ingredients for the lemon glaze, and let me tell you, you don’t want to omit this part. Drizzling the glaze atop the warm scones and digging in with a fork is my idea of a lovely afternoon snack. Plus, the glaze keeps well, as you might have some left over. And if you run out of scones, I bet this would be nice on pancakes or waffles! I might have to try that this weekend. 

You could substitute the blueberries for any other fresh berry on hand and make an equally enjoyable scone, I’m sure. 

INGREDIENTS

Scones
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
½ cup butter, softened
2 cups light sour cream
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries

Lemon Glaze
3 lemons
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS

Heat oven to 350°F. Mix all the dry ingredients together. Cut in softened butter. Gently fold in the sour cream and vanilla. Fold in blueberries. Do not overwork the dough.

Scoop dough (about 1/3 cup) onto two lightly greased baking sheets. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes.

Zest one lemon with a microplane grater. Cut all three lemons in half; juice. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, eggs and sugar. Whisk constantly; do NOT boil. Once the mixture is hot, turn the heat to low and whisk in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue cooking on low for 6 minutes until the lemon glaze has thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.

Serve warm scones with lemon glaze. Store any leftover lemon glaze in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...