Friday, November 08, 2013

Recipe #38: Bulgur Wheat Stuffed Peppers


Stuffed peppers are a favorite dish of mine but they don't often make it on my menu rotation. Until I've recently eaten them, I forget how yummy they are. I think that's going to have to change. I like that the stuffing can always be varied to keep the recipe interesting, and they don't actually take that long to cook up. If you're looking for a yummy yet filling vegetarian option, there's no meat in this recipe, and one stuffed pepper (two halves) is enough for one adult.

I found this recipe for Bulgur Wheat Stuffed Peppers and decided to cook them up for dinner one night. Not knowing exactly what bulgur wheat was and not having ever cooked with it before, I was excited to give this recipe a try. 

Bulgur wheat, turns out, is "a quick-cooking form of whole wheat that has been cleaned, parboiled, dried, ground into particles and sifted into distinct sizes" (thank you, Sunnyland Mills). Turns out it's also a little difficult to find in smaller grocery stores, as was the case for me when I went shopping. Sooooo, I had to make a little substitution and use brown rice instead (bummer). I'm happy to say that it turned out just as tasty, but I still want to try the original recipe, so I'll be on the hunt again for bulgur wheat. 

I would recommend cutting your peppers in half lengthwise and discarding the tops all together. It makes adding the filling and eating easier.  And depending on how soft you like your peppers, you may not need the full hour for baking. I'd recommend 45 minutes or so.

INGREDIENTS

    3/4 cup coarse bulgur wheat OR 1 cup brown rice
    1-1/2 cups crumbled Canadian Feta cheese
    1/2 cup chopped ripe tomatoes
    1/2 cup each chopped fresh dill and parsley
    4 green onions, chopped
    1/4 tsp each pepper and ground cumin
    4 sweet peppers
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp olive oil
    Pinch salt

DIRECTIONS

Pour 3/4 cup boiling water over bulgur; let soak for 30 minutes OR cook rice according to package. Toss with cheese, tomatoes, dill, parsley, onions, pepper and cumin. Set aside.

Cut tops off peppers and discard. Slice in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and ribs.

Coat bottom of 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish with lemon juice, oil, 1/4 cup water and salt. Lay stuffed peppers in dish and fill with bulgur wheat or rice mixtures.Cover dish with lid or foil.

Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 1 hour. Uncover and bake until peppers are tender, adding enough water if necessary to maintain about 1/4 cup liquid in pan, about 15 minutes.

Spoon juices into pepper stuffing and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...