Thursday, November 21, 2013

Recipe #39: Thai Coconut Curry Simmer



When Matt first introduced me to Thai food, the first dish I tried (and still continue to order) is a green curry coconut chicken served over noodles. It is easily my favorite when ordering take-out that I don't even bother to look at other items on the menu. The flavor is just a really nice mix of heat from the curry, sweet from the coconut milk, and sour from the drizzle of lime. 

So when I saw the recipe for Thai Coconut Curry Simmer in Canadian Living, I had to give it a try. It doesn't have a lot of ingredients, it all cooks in one pot in a short amount of time, and if you know me, these are all winning qualities in a recipe. 

I let the chicken simmer for much longer than it called for, only because we weren't quite ready to eat when it was done, but that made sure it was good and cooked, and because it stayed in the liquid, it remained nice and moist.  Once the noodles were cooked, I dumped them into the sauce as well, but I think next time I would just put them in the bowl and serve the chicken and sauce over top. They absorbed too much of the liquid and ended up a little mushy. Live and learn, right?

Over all, though, it was very tasty but wasn't quite as good as the one I was used to. I did forget to add the lime juice when serving, so that might have been part of it. I would also add in a few vegetables next time, as just the chicken and noodles make for a bit of a heavy dish. Maybe a few peppers would compliment the dish or, and I can't believe I'm suggesting this, a few mushrooms, if you happen to like them.

INGREDIENTS

    1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
    1 pinch salt
    1 pinch pepper
    1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
    2 shallots or onions, thinly sliced
    1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
    1 tbsp (15 mL) Thai green curry paste
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
    Lime slices to serve
    1 pkg of Rice Noodles  

DIRECTIONS

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken, turning once, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate.

Add shallots, ginger, curry paste and garlic to pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and chicken; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, turning once, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, about 15 minutes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...