Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Book Nook: The Last Girlfriend on Earth: And Other Love Stories


The Last Girlfriend on Earth: And Other Love Stories
~ Simon Rich

BBB Rating: 4 out of 5


This little book was a surprisingly great read. The collection of short stories were witty and entertaining, and I often found myself chuckling aloud (I love when a book does that!). The author, young Simon Rich, is a talented writer with some very unique insights on dating and falling in love in New York, and the topics of the short stories are not ones I was used to reading. 

From Goodreads:

In "Center of the Universe," God struggles to balance the demands of his career with the needs of his long-term girlfriend. In "Magical Mr. Goat," a young girl's imaginary friend yearns to become "more than friends." In "Unprotected," an unused prophylactic recalls his years spent trapped inside a teen boy's wallet. The stories in Simon Rich's new book are bizarre, funny, and yet...relatable. Rich explores love's many complications-losing it, finding it, breaking it, and making it-and turns the ordinary into the absurd. With razor-sharp humor and illustrations, and just in time for Valentine's Day, Rich takes readers for an exhilarating, hilarious ride on the roller coaster of love.

I've since gone on to read one of his full-length novels, "What in God's Name", which I'll be telling you all about in my next Book Nook. 
 
READING UPDATE
 
I have to regrettably report that I was just 3 books shy of reaching my goal of reading 20 books in 2013. The time just got away from me. I'm going to aim to read 20 books again this year, and hopefully with some better time-management, I'll get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...