Tuesday, January 21, 2014

40th Birthday Party


So, my husband turned 40 this year. No biggie. 40 is the new 30, right? So in his honor, we got ourselves a sitter and headed out for a big night on the town. First, we had drinks and snacks with friends at a local pub. Then we headed to a bar to meet up with more friends and watch a cover band. It was a late night but a great night (and nap time the next day was enjoyed by all). We looked forward to celebrating with our closest friends, so I wanted a little something to thank everyone for coming out. I put together a little something for people to take home (yay adult treat bags!), which looked something like this: 


That's not my photo (I neglected to take one), but I did put together a bouquet of Pop Rocks for our guests to take. And I have to say, it was kind of a hit. It was like a little blast of nostalgia in your mouth.

On a smaller scale, we had our own little party for Matt at home, including balloons and a very special birthday 'cake'. In general, I would say traditional cake falls at the very bottom of his dessert list. Nearing the top is Ice Cream Cake, which we enjoy when celebrating with his family, but I thought I could find something even better. 

Enter the Popcorn Cake and my inspiration: 


A mixture of popcorn, pretzels, and M&Ms, all coated with melted and gooey marshmallow? This combines all of Matt's most favorite things! So, I made it in secret the night before (A much smaller version than the one in the link), and after Liv had gone to bed (it wouldn't be fair to eat it in front of her, after all), I busted out the candles and presented it to Matt.



Thankfully, and not surprisingly, he really liked it. That yummy mix of salty and sweet really does hit the spot. He still talks about it, remembering fondly back to that delectable treat. I'm glad he enjoyed it, and he can look forward to this 'cake' for many birthdays to come.
 

2 comments:

  1. Popcorn cake, hmmmm sounds good! May 24 treat?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea, Meg.... I might be able to make it happen.

      Delete

I always welcome comments! Please feel free to share...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...